Thank you for your funding bid to the Market Towns Initiative on behalf of Stalham Area Business Forum. I would like to thank you for your interest in the initiative and I am pleased to inform you that the Council’s Cabinet approved funding of £29,671.25 towards elements of the proposal that most closely align with the purposes of the fund. The outcome of your application and associated reasons for the decision are listed below.
- Stalham Street sign – conditional funding of £7,500, subject to an appropriate location being identified in collaboration with the Town Council, to improve the image of the town.
- Fifty bespoke aluminium flag/tree brackets – funding of £7,500 to improve the appearance of the high street.
- Fifty sets of flags/flagpoles – funding of £3,025 towards improving the high Street.
- Twenty external power sockets – funding of £1,250 to provide an electricity supply during outside events.
- Three A0 sized Stalham guide maps – conditional funding of £1,530 (with a requirement to evidence cooperation/consultation with the Town Council and incorporation of the town trail).
- Ten planters, thirty hanging baskets, ten water butts, twenty water timers, ten watering systems and fittings – funding of £3,935.45 to improve the aesthetic appearance of the town.
- Construction of flower beds/landscaping and installation of benches at Stalham Library – funding for this was not agreed due to uncertainties over the owner’s aspirations for the site and the proposal’s tenuous link to the purposes of the fund.
- Purchase/installation of access ramps/bells and grab rails – whilst highly sympathetic to the principle behind this proposal and supportive of aspirations to improve accessibility in the town, funding was not agreed as insufficient information was given about how this was to be implemented and its impact upon the High Street, the applicant is encouraged to re-apply in the second round of funding.
- Purchase of water bowser – funding of £877.80 to help maintain the flower baskets included in the proposal.
- Design and printing of Stalham business pamphlet – conditional funding of £1,513 to help market the town as a shopping/leisure destination in cooperation with the Town Council.
- Twelve months rent of pop-up shop – whilst sympathetic to the proposal, a business plan showing the shop’s management/operational arrangements and costs (not just its rent) will need to be agreed before this initiative can be supported.
- Installation of Changing facilities – whilst highly sympathetic to the proposal and supportive of aspirations to improve changing facilities, funding could not be approved without confirmation of the site’s location, together with other details of how it will be operated and how management costs will be covered.
- Refreshing and refurbishing high street frontages – conditional funding (subject to evidence being provided of which shops would receive upgrades, how these were chosen and evidence of support from other businesses) of £2,540 to improve the appearance of the town.
- Purchase of Umbrellas and stands – funding was not approved as the concept still seems to be at the embryonic stage.
- Purchase of metal container to store market equipment – funding was not approved as the concept still seems to be at the embryonic stage.
f you wish to proceed with the project, a funding agreement, setting out the grant conditions will follow shortly. On receipt of the signed agreement, I will arrange for payment to be made, following which I look forward to seeing the project implemented and receiving further information about the outcomes of this initiative to improve Stalham town centre.
Democratic Services & Governance Officer